We Help Cover Your Assets
K & G Law will work in partnership with you to conceive and implement organizational strategies that ensure realization of goals for you and your organization. We’ll equip you with the tools to promote your brand and product, protect your enterprise, and compete effectively.
We conduct trademark clearance searches, provide opinions on availability and enforcement, prepare and prosecute trademark and trade dress applications from selection through registration, and oversee all tasks required for their maintenance.
We represent clients in actions to enforce or defend against infringement of trademarks, trade dress, and copyrights, counterfeiting, misappropriation, false advertising, domain name disputes, and unfair competition before the tribunals of the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the Federal Courts of the United States.
We partner with a curated network of trusted foreign associates to protect clients’ interests globally, from clearance and registration to enforcement through administrative agencies and courts of law. Through a history of working together, we have developed longstanding relationships with counsel overseas who share our commitment to excellence and approach of delivering services tailored precisely to client needs with whom we work to craft and implement worldwide enforcement programs.
We represent clients across a broad array of industries ensuring their rights are protected and upheld and provide counsel about their infringement and enforcement worldwide. We investigate the origins and status of preexisting works (whether of the visual arts, text, music, performing arts or choreography), and assist clients in the procurement of copyright registrations.
We draft and negotiate licenses to ensure that clients receive appropriate compensation from those out-licensing their intellectual property and that their rights are protected in in-licensing of rights to use 3rd party property. We also assist in obtaining the necessary permissions to use preexisting works and provide counsel that rights of publicity are respected.
Mechanical licenses, statutory licenses, blanket and synchronization licenses—we know the intricacies of music rights acquisition and have substantial expertise and experience investigating, negotiating and enforcing licenses for the use of music in commercial product and media applications.
Intangible assets, including intellectual property, are often the most valuable assets of a company and are critical to the retention of corporate wealth. Protecting IP in the course of commercial transactions is essential to safeguarding your business in an environment characterized by the emergence of novel technologies. We negotiate and prepare a broad array of transactional documents, including licenses, transfers, coexistence agreements, distribution agreements, assignments, trade secret agreements and security instruments concerning intellectual property and creative content rights, and provide due diligence for mergers and acquisitions. Our experience counseling businesses in their IP acquisitions and licenses provides clients with valuable resources for IP management worldwide.
We assist with policing of brands on the Internet, and advise on domain name issues and legal issues related to rights of publicity, permissible use and the use of links, user-generated content and social media. We review website content to protect clients’ rights and avoid infringement. Our team solidly protects brands, advertising and other creative content through means including the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the Anti-cybersquatting Act (ACPA), and the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP).
We review advertising content, product packaging and marketing materials for compliance with applicable laws, regulations and industry-specific standards and to ensure proper use of trademarks, logos, and trade dress. We represent clients in actions involving false and deceptive advertising claims before the Children’s Advertising Review Unit and the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau and its National Advertising Review Board as well as in the Federal Courts.
Our Services Include
- Trademark clearance searches and opinions
- Global registration, maintenance, and renewal of trademarks
- Preparation, filing, and prosecution of trademark applications
- Trademark portfolio audits and strategic counseling
- Trademark/intellectual property analysis for due diligence
- Copyright analysis and advice
- In- and Out-Licensing agreements for trademarks, characters, software and music content
- Investigations related to the trademark rights and copyrights of others
- Trademark watch services
- Work-for-Hire issues and agreements
- Ex parte appeals of refusals of registration before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Protection of marks against infringement
- Representation of clients in actions for infringement, misappropriation and unfair competition brought in the Federal Courts of the United States
- Initiating and defending actions brought under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP)
- Advising clients on the use of brands in social media
- Investigations directed to third party rights
- Review of print, television, radio and website promotional materials and advertising
- Comparative advertising and claim substantiation
- False and misleading advertising litigation
- Branding and line look consulting
- Domain name registration and acquisition
- Trade Secret agreements
- Recordation of trademark and copyright registrations with Customs